How Does Proper Lighting Bring the Best Out of Professional Photography Sessions?Posted on January 4, 2019
Light is the most important element in photography. Photography entails capturing brilliant light. A professional photographer needs to control the intensity, duration and amount of light required to create a great picture.
According to experts of professional photography in Toronto, proper lighting makes the photograph successful. There are four different types of lighting used in professional photography where each works to bring out the best in different ways. There are artificial lighting and natural light.
Natural light and Its Basic Varieties
- Soft Light- It accentuates on subtle tints that would be lost otherwise in the strong natural light.
- Front Light- It helps in even illumination of the subject that is otherwise predominated by sunlight. Front light helps colour contrasts predominate thus making the photograph stand out.
- Sidelight- when the sunlight is coming from left or right, sidelight plays an important role in bringing out the texture of the subject. Since the sidelight comes from one side of the subject, it leaves the opposite side in shadow that brings out the contrast. Proper use of sidelights is great for subjects lacking colour or black and white photography.
- Backlight- It is used when the sun is behind the subject. The sunlight illuminates translucent objects like waterfall, leaves, flowers, feathers, and shines through them. The backlight is useful to create a striking outline of the subject that makes the picture complete.
Here are some other ways proper lighting brings the best out of professional photography sessions.
- Proper lighting determines the darkness and brightness element of the picture. It plays an important role in setting the atmosphere, mood, and tone for the perfect shot.
- The photographer needs to manipulate lighting to get the best texture, the luminosity of the subject, and vibrancy of the colour.If the light is placed behind the camera, it gives a flat light impression and gives effects of shadows to the image.
- Side lighting shows the shape of the subject and creates interesting effects. For example, if you want to highlight your pet’s fluffy fur, you can place the light source on the sides instead of the front.
- Using a light diffuser reduces glare and harsh shadows.
- Lighting from sides, above or below help in creating a sense of volume.
Manipulating Light to Bring out the Best
The artificial light source can be manipulated to fall on a particular area and highlight the main characteristic of the subject. You can position the subject against the natural light source in such a way that specific area is highlighted. Else you can use spot lights to control the direction of the light that falls on the subject. The use of light is what distinguishes between a great photo and a poor one.
These are some ways in which lighting affects the quality of the photograph. According to experts in professional photography in Toronto, without proper lighting, even the most compelling subject would appear lifeless and non-interesting.Contact Me